Friday, June 25, 2010

Undiscovered Genius

All this time we have been thinking that our little Trinket was *special*.  We thought that she had a wonderful personality, but wasn't exactly the brightest bulb in the box, so to speak.  Oh, have I been proven wrong.  About one week after moving into the new house, as we were sitting down to dinner, I noticed my cats strolling nonchalantly into the living room.  They were supposed to be put away in our master bathroom.  I figured, no problem, the door was probably just not latched, and a draft pulled it open.  We put them back in the bathroom, shut the door, and thought that was the end of it.  Lo and behold, who came wafting back through the living room five minutes later?  If you guessed the cats, you are correct.  And with a spirit of delight amongst themselves to boot.

So, we put them into the bathroom one at a time.  I figured that Gizmo was the culprit, seeing as how she is far more dexterous with her little paws than Trinket.  After David put Gizmo in the bathroom, we gave her five minutes, and nothing happened.  Then, I put Trinket into the bathroom.  15 seconds later, I saw a little black and white paw shoot out underneath the door, cup the edge of it, and pull it open. 

We decided to switch their living quarters since the bathroom door isn't dependable about latching.  We converted the coat closet on the first floor into a kitty condo, complete with lights, litter box, food, and a water bottle, with a table cloth on the floor to keep things sanitary.  The first two days they were peaceful, and content.  Now, for the last three days, I am greeted in the morning with ths sound of my little black and white cat trying to figure out how to twist the door knob.  That cat amazes me all the time!  I have decided that before now it wasn't that she lacked intellect, she was just training us to do everything for her and let her do whatever she wants.

No comments: