Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Thoughts on Life

This morning I woke up at 5 am.  Actually, let me edit that and say I was woken up at 5am.  I did my best to get back to sleep, but to no avail.  I ended up finally giving in to my nervous excitement and getting up at around 6:20. 

Today I am going to my first orthodontist appointment.  I finally broke down and went to the dentist a week ago, and I am so so so glad I did!  It's been a long time, but I was pleased to find out that my mouth hadn't been overtaken by decay and my teeth hadn't sprung to life as little green gremlins of disease.  Actually, I only had three very minor cavities, and the hygienist was actually impressed with the color and cleanliness of my teeth.  Did I mention it's been somewhere in the ballpark of five-ish  years since I went to the dentist last? I have to admit it: I struggle with a fairly major fear of the dentist chair.  The dentists I've had in the past have been a little less than gentle with my delicate little mouth (ha). Plus, the feeling of someone else's fingers in my mouth, as well as the scritchy-scratch feeling of the little hook-type utensil on my teeth makes me feel all squicked-out inside.  Plus, I have an aversion to needles.  Big Time.  The last time I had to have blood drawn, the orderly took one look at me, ordered me to have a seat (quickly) and began speaking in abbreviated code to the other little medical attendants. From their reactions and side-glances, I think he was saying something along the lines of "oh no, we have another fainter on our hands".  When they came toward me with the needle, the veins in my arm found a new zip code.  The guy with the syringe said, "I haven't even touched her yet, and she's about to pass out!"

Anyway, back to today's story.  I am going to my first orthodontist appointment.  Yay! I have been waiting for this day for at least 12 years.  I have wanted braces since I was 14 and realized that one of my baby teeth was not ever going to fall out on its own.  When I was little, I thought they were the coolest thing. I used to try to make my own retainer out of aluminum foil (didn't work too well- don't try it). I have since learned that the pain of them makes them a lot less than "cool" to wear (I had a breif foray into orthodontics when I was in high school, but Mom lost interest in prying me from the car for appointments after I got my first taste of the discomfort of shifting teeth, and that was that....).  But, nonetheless, I have wanted them since high school due to my desire for all adult teeth and a straighter smile.  Plus, I am extra excited because I found a dentist and orthodontist who can hopefully work together well, and who offer sedation if necessary (double-yay!!).

So, I was too excited and nervous to sleep this morning.  So I got up and made my wonderful husband breakfast instead.  This morning I chose to wear a servant's heart and happy attitude, and took delight in serving my husband and showing him appreciation and respect for doing what he does (which is being a wonderful husband, friend, and provider for us).  I have noticed that whenever I choose to count my blessings and meditate on what I can do to make my relationship better, I have an overwhelming sense of peace in my heart.  I thank God everyday for my life and my husband.  I'm feeling like I'm on a second honeymoon today!

No comments: