Monday, May 14, 2007

Self Expression

Another paper I wrote for my English class. I am so proud of myself!

Self Expression

When I write, I feel joy in the written word. Writing is a beautiful catharsis of the soul; it is my moment to work out my feelings and share them with the world. Nothing compares to the experience of feeling a feeling, gestating the idea in the depths of my mind, then displaying it on paper in a verbal painting. I can display my deepest fears and highest hopes with the chiaroscuro of language. I am never more myself than when I am putting my personality into words and writing. In the beginning, God created the universe by speaking, and there is a deep meaning to that. Language is a very powerful thing- it makes the difference between success and tragedy. When I use language to tell of myself, I bolster my character and personality. On the flip side, if I fail to share myself with others through written or verbal communication, who I am becomes dimmer and begins to fade into the grayness of the unknown. When I write, I am declaring myself to the world.
I love to write creatively. My favorite thing to write is either a fictional short story or a poem. When I spend time writing, it gives me a chance to work out how I feel; I can brood and cogitate and sort out the feelings that get bottled up and placed on a shelf until a more “appropriate” time. After they have cocooned themselves in the attic of my heart, and hibernated for awhile, I am ready to break them out and show the magnificent butterfly within. On the other hand, because I feel so deeply about writing and regard so highly my brooding time beforehand, forced writing is torturous. I can be tremendously creative in finding alternate activities or necessary errands when I have to write something and feel uninspired. My strengths quite often become my weaknesses. I have always been the sort of person who says little until I have something to say, then comes out with something well thought out, either funny or serious. I rarely spoke as a younger child, but when I did you could bet on the fact that I would be determined and stubborn about my statement or opinion. I guess that translates into my above-mentioned struggle between writing spurts and procrastination.
So, reaching back to the original prompt, what are my true feelings about writing? When I write, I feel happy. When I write, I feel sad. When I write, I feel anxious. When I write, sometimes I feel bored. When I write, I feel angry. When I write, I feel hopeful. When I write, I feel. Period.

No comments: