Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Racism

Okay, this is the reason I love education- it gives me great subject matter for later rants. plus cause for deeper thought and introspection. Today in my composition class, we discussed racism, and read a sermon by Martin Luther King Jr. called "The American Dream". It was about how he wanted Americans to forget about race and become a brotherhood of Americans, and how the value of a person is based on the fact that they were created by God, and not on how much money they have, or how much pigment is in their skin. I agree. What I don't agree with is the kid in the last row who said that his boss is racist because he asked him not to come to work with dredlocks, and in gang clothing. What I don't agree with is the Mexican kid who says that there is a white conspiracy to keep the other races down. What I don't agree with is the kid who says that I'm a racist because I kicked them out of the center (at my work) for cussing and fighting. It's not my problem that they are black and I am white. I didn't choose to be born the color I am, and my parent's financial situation is also not my fault nor to my credit (depending on whether their situation is good or bad).

There is a Mexican kid in my class who says that white people make all the rules in society because they are white and it is written in their DNA it conquer and control other races. What a dum-dum. White people don't make the rules of society. Rich people do. You know why? Because they control the resources of the country- they have something that everyone else wants. Isn't that the way it usually works? The kid with the best toys decides under what conditions the other kids get to play with them. I'm not saying it's right- that's just how it is. It's a little thing called truth. Poor people will never set the agenda of the country because they have no leverage.

Now, if I had my way, I would make it so that everyone was treated with dignity regardless of life circumstances. I would make the rule that anyone who was hungry would get food, everyone who was cold would get some clothing, and everyone who was homeless could have a place to live. All of that is pretty easy to accomplish- it already exists. There are homeless shelters, church pantries, and thrift stores. What is hard to accomplish is the next part- Love and Respect. I would make it so that white people could speak the truth and no one would call them a racist. So that men could be manly without being called chauvinists. So that women could be women without being accused of being anti-feminist. So that black people could speak the truth without being accused of being too white, or any other variety of insult. Sometimes I wonder why people can't just be who they are without everyone else having an opinion.

No comments: