Thursday, October 06, 2011

Wisdom Searches

I've been meaning to post about this for awhile now.  Every morning for the last 2.5 months, David and I have been waking up a little earlier and doing a Bible study together based on character qualities and Proverbs.  We start by reading the character quality for that day (we move on to the next quality every three days), then the chapter of Proverbs for that day. It's easy because there are 31 chapters in Proverbs, and 30-31 days each month.  Last month only had 30 days, but the evening of the 30th David decided to read me the 31st Proverb and talk about how he saw the attributes of the excellent woman in me. Because he's amazing like that.

After we read our chapter, then we each spend as long as we need to perusing back over the chapter and making notes about where we see the character quality of the day either referenced, applied, or otherwise related to.  Then, when we both are done, we share our insights with each other.  It has been a blessed activity, and has increased the voice of the Lord in my heart and mind tenfold.  I have decided to start sharing some of my nuggets of insight on my blog, with the reference label "Wisdom Nuggets".

It's kind of interesting the way character qualities and the words of admonition that go along with them match up to what we are experiencing at the moment.  Sometimes I feel loathe to participate, and tune in and invest myself in the search because the application is so deeply-rooted. And sometimes I just don't wanna hear what God is saying.  Because I want. MY. way.

And other times I avoid the conviction because I feel lazy, and my heart says, "Really, God, today is just not a good time for me.  Raincheck?" But that's usually not a good answer to Him, and there's usually a consequence for my attitude- somehow things still turn out good for me, but I usually come to a bittersweet realization of missed blessing. If it wasn't for that darned sin nature getting in the way of us acting and receiving all the blessings God would like to give us, I think the verse would read "All things work for the utmost excellence and felicity of those who love God...etc." But that's not what it says.

Right now the study is focused on the character quality Endurance.  We get our character qualities and their meanings from the book "Achieving True Success: How to build character as a family" by "Character First!" It is such a wonderful book, and we have so enjoyed using it. It has a antonym quality for each positive character quality, and then a very concrete definition of the quality along with examples of what that quality looks like in the home. It has been a great study aid.

So, just as an example, I will give one of my wisdom nuggets for today.  Today is October 6, so the chapter for today is Proverbs 6.

Quality: Endurance vs. Discouragement
Vs.6-8   Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider her ways and be wise!-- Which, having no chief, overseer, or ruler, provides her food in the summer and gathers her supplies in the harvest.  
        ~ It is important for me to have the same kind of endurance as an ant, and continue doing what I know is right, even when no one is watching.  The sluggard is the one who gets discouraged, gives up, and gives in to his fleshly desires of rest and pleasure.  There is a time for sleeping-- don't use sleep as an excuse to not be effective in accomplishing worthy goals. 

No comments: