Thursday, December 31, 2009

Memories of a New Year

This time of year is a very special time for me and my sweetheart. Five years ago today I was nervously awaiting time to begin getting ready for a big, fun night- I was going to go with a group of friends to a new year's eve show and I had invited along this guy from church who very obviously had a crush on me. I wasn't sure about him, but he seemed sweet and I thought it would be nice for him to come along and I could get to know him better.

I wanted to get to see everyone getting together at my eldest sister's house that year, as it was tradition for all my family and our family friends, so I invited the group to come by and visit for a little bit before heading out around nine-ish.

The only person who showed up at my sister's house was David. It was a little awkward at first due to all the "knowing looks" we were being given, but I also enjoyed the attention. From David, and from everyone else. Plus, my wonderful youngest neice at the time quickly made a friend out of David and broke the ice. She wonderfully entertained him for the couple of hours before we left, and gave me an opportunity to observe his kind heart in his interactions with a very boisterous seven-year-old.

Well, at around nine, we decided it was time to head out. I decided to let him drive my car, since he was the boy, hehe. Plus it was a little icy. The car atmosphere on the way to the show was full of pregnant silences from what I remember, at least at first. Both of us are a little bit introverted by nature, which has grown into a nice habit of comfortable quiet in our home.

We chatted a little bit back and forth, and I discovered that this was the first time that he had ever been invited by a girl to a party on New Year's. I was glad to provide him with his first experience, but it was my first also, so I'm sure I did a super bang-up job. I was 21 at the time, and had never even been on a real date before. But at least I looked good, or at least I gather I did from the constant presence of a small bit of gathering saliva at the corner of his mouth for the entire evening. Either that or he was just malnourished like one of my parent's aging cats.

I don't remember much about the show, aside from a really really funny cartoon sketh they did about Zoloft, where they illustrated all the possible side effects of the medicine happening to the sad little blue blob. That and the very very awkward pause at midnight where neither David nor I were willing to kiss each other. First kiss ever on New Year's? I think not.

Then it was time to leave. On the way out I was almost assaulted by a very very drunk guy. Then, we chatted with our friends for a little bit, and I pulled my sweat-soaked 20 out of my shoe to pay one of my friends back for my ticket. Then we left. It was very very cold, and I was thoroughly shivering by the time we got back to the car.

I remember talking a little bit about what high school was like for each of us. It turns out that we didn't have such different experiences- both of us were very focused on scholastics, and spent little time outside of school with friends. Although I think I spent more time with friends and babysitting and parties than he did.

On the drive home, driving from the middle of central Dallas, and trying to figure out the 30/35 junction, we managed to get lost for three hours. I wasn't all that worried. I was enjoying talking to him. After we had figured out where we were, and were on the right track to get back home, I asked him the fateful question: "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Do you know what his answer was? "Well, still at my job here in G--, married to you............ or someone like you."

I was floored. And highly complimented. I thought he was so. cute. And sweet. He said it like a blushing, shy, little boy. And I ate it up.

We got home about five minutes after that. We hugged goodbye. I went inside and told my family what he had said. They said to run as fast as I could. And I did- straight into his arms (figuratively speaking). We dated, and then got married eight months later. And five years to the day later, here we are. He is still at his job in G--. And he is married to me. And I don't regret a minute of it. He is my perfect mate, and has all my love and respect.

No comments: