Friday, August 13, 2004

Dirty Dancin'

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but for me, this summer has turned out to be very enlightening. I learned a lot of things. I made some interesting discoveries, and some interesting friends as well. I also found out some things about myself-

I can't dance.

I know it sounds strange for a 21 year old to say that they had only just discovered that they can't dance, but it's the honest-to-goodness truth. But there's a good reason for not having learned this about myself sooner: I've never really tried before. On occasion I've been pulled or pushed against my will onto a dance floor, but I felt like I winged it pretty well. Maybe no one noticed how awkward I was. I know the guys that were there didn't. They were far too busy covering up their own awkwardness. I would know.

But for the first time this summer, I tried to dance for real. And found out that I can't. Amidst the hysterical laughter of all the people surrounding me, I realized that in my sad attempt to get jiggy with it, I only succeeded in pulling off the image, grace, and ambience of a muppet. That's right- a muppet. With arms disjointedly flailing around, I resembled Elmo's happy dance.

I'll be taking a dance class this fall. They may move me from Jazz to Comedic Dance against my will.

Pray for me.

No comments: