Thursday, April 18, 2013

36 Weeks!

Today was our 36-week appointment, and everything is looking great! The baby finally flipped into a head-down position almost 3 weeks ago, and is still there. He hasn't started to drop down yet, so who knows when he will decide to come- I'm hoping for sooner rather than later.

His timing on flipping around was pretty interesting. We ended up going for a consultation with the OB that I mentioned a couple months ago, who routinely delivers breech babies naturally. We weren't quite 34 weeks along at the time. He basically just answered our questions about it all, and said he would be happy to help us if we got to 38 weeks and the baby still hadn't flipped. That evening, we had one of our Bradley classes, and during the class we played around with different essential oils. I was especially drawn to the scent of Jasmine, and was sniffing it all evening. On the way home, I started having a bunch of Braxton-Hicks contractions, and they were somewhat uncomfortable. When we got home, I laid on the inversion table for about 30 minutes, and when I got off of it, I noticed that my stomach felt different, and I couldn't feel or find the baby's head anymore! I read later that jasmine aromatherapy actually stimulates the muscles of the uterus, and I think it made the Braxton-Hicks contractions stronger and helped the baby to finally turn around. Two days later we had our regular appointment with our current OB, and he confirmed that the baby had flipped, and was in a great position!

It has been such a relief to my poor, stress-addled brain for the baby to now be head-down. It's like a huge weight lifted off my shoulders, and I can finally relax and enjoy my pregnancy again. Now it's just a countdown until he comes- yesterday was exactly one month until our due date.

No comments: